Monday, October 13, 2014

Realizing Isolation as Part of Healing

I realize that no blog post can be inclusive of all points of view, but I find myself wanting to respond to this post on isolation as a negative part of healing. 
http://blog.christianleadershipalliance.org/2014/09/15/six-steps-towards-healing-for-the-wounded-leader/
In her PhD dissertation, Shelley Trebesch focuses on periods of isolation as required time spent seeking an intimacy with God. Intimacy is the place where we recognize our need before our Creator and become honest in regard to being His steward. Shelley outlines a number of processes that take place in isolation that often come in response to organizational discipline (Trebesch 1997, 35-43):
1.  Stripping – sometimes the cause of the isolation (as it was with my self-initiated sabbatical after my resignation), a leader will face his or her identity – or loss of identity – in view of a separation from ministry whether voluntary or involuntary.
2.  Wrestling with God – if the isolation is forced, this brings the leader to desperately search for God and their true identity apart from the position and activity of ministry. This spiritual exertion can be as literal as Jacob’s interaction with God in Genesis 32, as we cling to God until we realize contentment.
3.  Increased Intimacy – this stage brings about an openness and honesty of the leader’s weakness, brokenness and vulnerability. There is a freedom in allowing others to see their hearts in this state. Leaders will often truncate this process here as it can be too painful, or they find another outlet for ministry. However, for those who are able to separate themselves from the position of ministry, they will discover a growing satisfaction in Christ alone.
4.  Released to Look Toward the Future – Rather than succumb to the temptation to truncate this process, the leader must allow God to remove them when He is ready. There will be an intuitive renewal and openness to the future. This is often when leadership emergence reveals itself.

I personally experienced this isolation process in 2006, following my voluntary resignation from a ministry, as I found myself seriously questioning my leadership ability and competency for ministry. It was paradoxical to me at that time, that while many other local organizations were seeking out my leadership, there was an unmistakable barrier between them and me . . . until which time I came through that process with a clear freedom to accept a new position.

The process was undesired, but critical to my spiritual formation, as well as my professional growth as a leader. It was only after my acceptance of a new position as God’s direction for me that I was contacted by the other organizations with the news that I was not their choice. It was this process that led me to an awareness of God’s preparation of me for a specific ministry position. I also feel that without this process of isolation I would not have been as prepared for continued leadership or for the intense introspection of the MA program that I was undertaking. 
  
I have learned that isolation can be a friend, but also a trap. Use it sparingly, but realize it as part of healing as a leader. 

Shelley Trebesch, “Developing Persons in Christian Organizations: A Case Study of OMF International.” (Ph.D. diss., FTS) 1997.

No comments: