Friday, February 17, 2017

We Can Live At Peace With Each Other

I am honored to be serving on staff of Pacific Justice Institute who defends religious freedom, parental rights and other civil liberties without charge.

In this post-Christian world we are being pressured (in some cases, forced) to set aside strongly held biblical morals which have guided life and livelihoods for generations – nay, for ages. We are expected, not just acquiesce to, but fully accept whatever new cultural dictum is put forth. Even to the point of losing our own personal liberties and possessions to judgments from an amoral court system.

If truth be known, standing on one's faith in living out a biblical lifestyle does not always equate to intolerance or hate of another's life choices – as many charge us as doing. Most people of faith I know desire to accept others and learn to make reasonable accommodation for other's beliefs – as this 72-year old Washington businesswoman sought to do for her longtime LGBT customer. One must only listen to her appeal to know her heart when faced with the choice of accepting a light judgement:

"Your offer reveals that you don’t really understand me or what this conflict is all about. It’s about freedom, not money. I certainly don’t relish the idea of losing my business, my home, and everything else that your lawsuit threatens to take from my family, but my freedom to honor God in doing what I do best is more important. Washington’s constitution guarantees us “freedom of conscience in all matters of religious sentiment.” I cannot sell that precious freedom. You are asking me to walk in the way of a well-known betrayer, one who sold something of infinite worth for 30 pieces of silver. That is something I will not do.

I pray that you reconsider your position. I kindly served Rob for nearly a decade and would gladly continue to do so. I truly want the best for my friend. I’ve also employed and served many members of the LGBT community, and I will continue to do so regardless of what happens with this case. You chose to attack my faith and pursue this not simply as a matter of law, but to threaten my very means of working, eating, and having a home. If you are serious about clarifying the law, then I urge you to drop your claims against my home, business, and other assets and pursue the legal claims through the appeal process."

Her plea reminds me of the scripture verse in Romans 12:18 which admonishes: "If it is at all possible, as much as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."

Perhaps if we were slow to assume the worse in each other, and took the time to hear each other out before forming baseless opinions or judgments, we would be able to live out that scriptural directive of living at peace with ourselves and each other.

Read the full article here:

Shame on the Silent Christian Leaders Who Refuse to Stand Against Tyranny

No comments: